Autumn has finally come into town and the feeling of it is definitely already in the air. It’s time for cozy sweater weather, warm starbucks drinks, fall scented everything, and of course, the leaves are going to be changing colors right before our eyes! Being born and raised in Florida, this was one season I never really got to experience. When I made the decision to relocate to the Smokies, getting to take advantage of this time of year was extremely high up there on my list. Seeing the Fall Foliage in the Smokies change for the first time did not disappoint at all, it was absolutely beautiful and something I can’t wait to get to see again this year! I’ve been doing a little research and decided to share where to go and what to do to really experience this incredible season for our new and even repeat visitors. One perk of staying with us here at Bear Crossing is that we actually offer beautiful river view condos for you to stay at during your visit, so you get to see all the beauty by just walking out onto your balcony! Imagine waking up every morning getting to smell the sweet crisp air, hear the water, and see all the gorgeous fall colors stretching out for what seems like miles. You’ll also get FREE TICKETS to numerous shows and attractions here that will be debuting their holiday shows very soon. The Island also has the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel that is sure to allow you to take in all that fall has to offer, and you even get a free ticket for it every day of your stay with us, sounds like a great deal to me! Now all you need to know is where else to go to fall in love with the Smoky Mountains, join me on this guide to experiencing fall foliage while you’re here!
- Cade’s Cove – Make sure to have your camera ready for this one! This beautiful 11 mile one-way loop is one of the best places to go if you’re wanting to experience fall in all its glory! Best part of it? You can drive through the whole route if you don’t feel like doing any walking. Want to snap some photos? This is the place to do it. Not only will you get to see all the different colored leaves, but you also might luck out and see an abundance of wildlife! There’s also trails you can hike to really take in all the scenery. This is one spot that can’t be missed this season.
- Gatlinburg Space Needle – Climb aboard this spectacular 407′ observation tower on traffic light number eight in downtown Gatlinburg to be able to see the view of a lifetime! You will get a 360° view of our beautiful Smoky Mountains and there isn’t a more beautiful time to see them then in the Fall. If you really want to fall in love with our amazing scenery, this is the place to go!
- Ober Gatlinburg – Want to feel like you’re on top of the Smokies? Hop onto the aerial tramway, a seven minute ride to the top of Ski Mountain Road, where you are sure to see all the beauty our mountains possess. Once you get off the tram, you can visit all the fun activities this amusement park has in store for you. Make sure to try out the mountain coaster where the fall leaves will be no match for you when you fly by them at great speeds. They also have a scenic chairlift that will take you to the highest point of the mountain, it’s one view that will go down in the books as the most memorable of all! Another perk of visiting Ober during this time of year is that they do their very own version of Oktoberfest! Stop by the restaurant to dine with a view and see their very own Oompah Band playing fun Bavarian tunes for you and the whole family. They will also be offering a Bavarian menu and a bier garten for everyone to take advantage of (as long as you’re 21 or older of course!) For a good time all around, make sure to add this destination to your list of places to go.
- Anakeesta – Are you ready to experience the magic of the Smokies? This brand new attraction is one that will surely be fun and exciting for the entire family. From ziplining through all the fall colors to a treehouse playground and even another mountain coaster that will hopefully be opening shortly, there will be something here to do for all ages! Just coming to see the views? No problem at all! Climb aboard their very own chondola that will take you up 600’ to their mountain oasis where the autumn beauty will take over your view no matter which way you look. It’s the first of its kind to be built here in the States for us to enjoy and it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser! This new destination will easily make it to the top of your to-do list this Fall.
- Newfound Gap Road – If you want to keep the journey going once you’re done with the loop at Cade’s Cove, this should definitely be your next tour so to speak! Newfound Gap is a beautiful mountain pass that will lead you from the Sugarland’s Visitors Center over to Cherokee in North Carolina. It’s the lowest drivable pass through the Smoky Mountains, and it’s one that can’t be missed if you’re wanting to see all the fall colors in action!
- Clingmans Dome – Although the observation tower is closed for the rest of the 2017 season, you can still visit their parking lot and numerous trails around the area to take in all that autumn has to offer here! Even from the parking lot, the mountain views from this destination are as breathtaking as they come. If you’re lucky enough to catch this spot on a clear day, the views you see will stretch on for over 100 miles. This is also one of the best places to go to find hiking trails if you’re looking to really see the fall colors up close and personal. It’s no wonder why this site stays so popular all throughout the year! Make sure to check it out for yourself!
With so many amazing places to go and things to see during the Fall, your trip here to Pigeon Forge is sure to be jam-packed full of fun family adventures! If you’re looking to fall in love with this incredible season, this is the place to do it. From amusement parks to shows to scenic drives, we have it all waiting here for you. If you haven’t already booked your October vacation, make sure you do so as soon as possible so you don’t miss out on all the beauty our mountains have to offer! Come and join our family here at Bear Crossing, we would absolutely love to have you and the rest of your family. Let us help you all make memories that will last a lifetime! You’ll want to come back and see the Fall Foliage in the Smokies for many years to come!